Visiting Scholars and Researchers

The University of Tulsa welcomes visiting scholars and researchers to campus to collaborate with faculty and staff, as well as use the special collections in the McFarlin Library and the Gilcrease Museum.

A visiting scholar is an individual whose primary purpose for residence on the TU campus is to teach, lecture or perform independent research on a topic related to his or her expertise. Visiting scholar positions are not compensated and their length of stay is at least a month and generally no more than a year.

Visiting scholars may be granted a variety of privileges including access to McFarlin Library, office or lab space, and eligibility for membership at Collins Fitness Center.

Hosting Visiting Scholars

All visiting scholars must be hosted by a faculty member and have a departmental home.

The process for hosting an international visiting scholar may require extra time to arrange the necessary documents for the scholar’s visa. Faculty who want to invite a foreign scholar to TU should expected this process may take at least three months, depending upon the scholar’s home country.

The processes outlined on this website apply only to visitors who have completed their degrees and are seeking an appointment for teaching or research. TU faculty seeking to host visitors who are completing undergraduate or graduate degrees at their home institution should consult with International Student Services.

Faculty who want to invite a scholar to TU should complete the Visiting Scholar Form. No invitations may be issued without approval by the appropriate academic dean.