Transfer Credit & Credit by Exam - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Transfer Credit & Credit by Exam

The Office of the Registrar evaluates and records the amount of transfer credit and credit by examination an undergraduate can apply towards graduation requirements. Credit may also be awarded for certain Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate Programs, or Cambridge International A/AS Level exams.

For questions regarding any of this information, please contact

Options for researching equivalencies that have previously been reviewed and approved are provided below:

Students should keep in mind that:

  • No more than one-half of their degree hours can be transferred from two-year colleges.
  • If transferring from a four-year college or university, the last 45 semester hours of the degree must be completed at The University of Tulsa.
  • A grade of C or better must be earned in any transferable course.
  • Results of AP and IB testing taken in high school must be submitted by the testing agency to the Office of the Registrar prior to enrollment to determine credit earned.
  • Transfer Credit Guide

    The University of Tulsa awards credit based on course work completed at U.S. colleges or universities accredited by a regional accrediting association; or course work completed at international colleges or universities of recognized standing.

    The Transfer Credit Guide provides information about how previously reviewed courses from other institutions transferred into The University of Tulsa. It is intended to be used as an unofficial guide in consultation with a professional academic advisor. Final transferability decisions are made once an official transcript has been received in the Office of the Registrar.

    The Transfer Credit Guide is not a complete list of all transferable coursework. If a course does not appear in the guide that does not necessarily mean it is not transferable. The guide is continually updated as new courses are reviewed or previously reviewed courses are revisited.

  • Credit by Examination

    The maximum amount of credit towards a baccalaureate degree that may be awarded by examination is 36 hours. This may be awarded through advanced placement credit, international baccalaureate, Cambridge International A/AS Level exams, and/or proficiency exams.

  • Submitting Official Transcripts/Score Reports

    No transfer credits will be awarded based on unofficial transcripts or transcripts that have not been sent directly from the transferring institution. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the Office of Admission for entering students and the Office of the Registrar for continuing students.  Veterans must also submit military training transcripts for evaluation of credit.

    Official transcripts can be submitted in one of the below methods:

    • E-transcripts – send to for entering students of for continuing students.
    • Sealed paper transcripts – deliver via mail to the following address: Office of the Registrar, The University of Tulsa, 800 S. Tucker Dr., Tulsa, OK 74104

    Official transcripts will only be accepted via direct submission from the external institution through one of these two methods.  No transcripts received directly from the student email will be accepted.

    For AP/IB scores to be processed for credit, you must have an official test score report sent to TU directly. Contact the College Board and have your scores sent to The University of Tulsa (6883). The self-reported scores used during the Admission process will NOT be added to your official student record. The College Board will charge a fee to have your scores resent to TU.