Transfer Credit Policies - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Transfer Credit Policies

You can request transfer credit for university-level course work completed outside The University of Tulsa. Once approved, transfer credit can count towards overall University graduation requirements and, if approved by your major department, towards major and minor requirements.

The requirements are very specific, so it is important to be aware of all these policies.

  • Transcript Requirements

    No transfer credits will be awarded based on unofficial transcripts or transcripts that have not been sent directly from the transferring institution. Official transcripts must be sent directly from the institution to the Office of Admission for entering students and the Office of the Registrar for continuing students.  Veterans must also submit military training transcripts for evaluation of credit.

  • Credit Evaluations

    Credit earned at other institutions is evaluated by the Transfer Credit and Articulation Specialist in the Office of the Registrar. The Transfer Credit and Articulation Specialist will work with discipline specialists to determine equivalency options. Faculty policy determines which courses are applicable towards a chosen major. Transfer applicants will be notified in writing of their advanced standing and the number of hours remaining to complete a degree or certificate program at The University of Tulsa

    Final transfer evaluations will be based on specific program requirements current at the time of a student’s first enrollment and will not necessarily apply to another curriculum if the student changes majors. Changing majors may require reevaluation of prior transfer credit.

  • Course Requirements

    Coursework taken from accredited institutions and in which a grade of C or higher was earned is generally transferable. Courses taken pass/fail are not transferable unless a grade of C or better can be documented.

    Transfer credit will be granted only for courses offered during a regular semester with a minimum three week term, and consistent with applicable academic standards of The University of Tulsa and its academic programs.

    Credit is not granted for the following:

    • Courses below college level (e.g. Developmental English, Math and Reading courses; ESL courses)
    • Vocational/technical courses or PE activity courses
    • Correspondence courses
    • Courses completed at a school that is not regionally accredited
    • Courses with a grade below a “C”
    • Credit by examination earned at another college or university
  • Residency Requirement

    The last 45 hours of coursework must be completed in residence at The University of Tulsa.

  • Credit Transfer Limits

    No more than half of the requirements for a chosen TU degree can be fulfilled using past community or junior college credits, unless there is an approved articulation agreement between TU and the prior institution for the associated major/s.

  • Transfer Work After Matriculation

    Transfer work taken after matriculation as a student at The University of Tulsa must be approved by the Transfer Credit and Articulation Specialist prior to enrollment at the other university. Failure to receive prior approval will result in work not being transferable to TU. Students who have attempted a course at TU may not receive credit for that course from another university.

    If you are a current student wanting to take a class at another institution for transfer to TU, please contact

  • International Transfer Credit Evaluations

    International students and others who apply for advanced standing credit for studies completed at foreign institutions must present certified English translations of transcripts or their equivalents from all foreign institutions attended, as well as associated course syllabi.

    Documents and transcripts from foreign institutions are subject to individual review and interpretation. It is not unusual to require international students to validate coursework of unknown quality by examination and to repeat courses in areas where knowledge appears inadequate. Credit for work completed at a foreign institution is always subject to review and reassessment because of differences in accrediting practices, grading methods and customs, and course content. Such credit is normally recorded as total hours of advanced standing for a specific curriculum and will not necessarily apply to another curriculum.

  • College Specific Policies

    Transfer credit policies within the colleges may be more stringent than University policies, depending on the chosen major.  Students are required to abide by the transfer credit policies of the college in which their major resides.

    • Henry Kendall College of Arts & Sciences
    • After completing a total of 62 hours of college work, either at TU or a combination of TU and external transfer coursework/credits by exam, the Henry Kendall College of Arts & Sciences will not accept transfer credit from community colleges or other two-year colleges toward graduation requirements.
    • Collins College of Business
      • At least 50% of the business credit hours (other than economics) required for the business degree must be completed at TU.
      • Eligible credits must be earned at an AACSB-accredited program for application towards a business degree.
      • No transfer credit will be accepted toward the business core or major required courses following matriculation at TU, with the following exception: a maximum of six hours taken during a summer term may be transferred from an AACSB-accredited program.
      • After completing a total of 60 hours of college work, either at TU or a combination of TU and external transfer coursework/credits by exam, the Collins College of Business will not accept transfer credit from community colleges or other two-year colleges.
    • Engineering & Natural Sciences
      • Upper-level engineering courses normally do not transfer from schools that are not accredited by ABET (Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology).
    • Oxley College of Health Sciences
      • After a student has completed 60 hours, no more courses may be transferred from a community college or junior college. 
      • No transfer credit will be accepted toward the health sciences core or major required courses; exceptions may be granted by the program director.
      • Science courses must have been completed within the past 3 years to apply to any degree plan; exceptions may be granted by the program director.
  • Transfer Credit Appeal Process

    Students may appeal transfer credit evaluation decisions or request exceptions to the policies listed above. Appeals must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar with supporting documentation (justification statement, syllabus, course material examples, and/or list of associated texts). Following submission of an appeal, the Registrar will coordinate review of the appeal with the appropriate department chair and collegiate dean.