International Students - The University of Tulsa

International Students

International group in costume

You are an international student if you will require a student visa to attend The University of Tulsa. U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and refugees should apply using the domestic student application.

In order to have sufficient time to have an application processed, submit all documents, apply for a student visa, and travel to the US, students are advised to allow at least two to three months to complete the entire procedure. Visit International Student & Scholar Services for additional support.

Application Requirements

  • An International Application for Admission. TU also accepts the Common App.
  • Official transcripts from all secondary/high school and university-level study. Official transcripts must be sent by your school to TU directly at, via mail or through electronic transcript delivery. Certified copies are only acceptable when original transcripts are unavailable.  Do not send TU your only original transcript because we are unable to return it to you.
  • Official IGCSE, A-Level, International Baccalaureate Diploma Program, or Advanced Placement results if taken.
  • Evidence of English proficiency.
  • Confirmation of Financial Resources. Proof of financial support for 1 year of study and living expenses must be on file at The University of Tulsa before an I-20 for F-1 student visa support is issued.


Recommended Materials

  • Counselor or teacher recommendation letters
  • Personal essay
  • SAT or ACT scores
    • Send your scores directly from the testing agency using the ETS (TOEFL/SAT) institution code: 6883 or the ACT institution code: 3444.
  • Interview – 2 options available:
    • Personal interview with TU admission representative – Connect with us via phone, Zoom, WeChat, or WhatsApp. Contact to request your interview.
    • InitialView – We accept interviews completed through InitialView. InitialView records interviews and collects a short writing sample for international applicants to US universities.

Immigration Materials

Students requiring a student visa will need to submit:

  • Confirmation of Financial Resources. Proof of financial support for 1 year of study and living expenses must be on file at The University of Tulsa before an I-20 for F-1 student visa support is issued.
  • A photocopy of the personal data page of your passport.

For more information about visas and immigration, visit International Student Services.

Transfer Credits

International students can transfer college/university credits to The University of Tulsa.

  • Apply to The University of Tulsa and submit all of the required materials.
  • Ask the registrar at each institution to send your official transcripts to The University of Tulsa.
  • If your transcripts are from a non-U.S. institution, send your course descriptions with certified translations.
    • Advisers may ask for course syllabi as well.
  • A TU adviser will evaluate your courses and tell you how many transfer credits TU will accept. They will also tell you how many credits you will need to complete your degree.


All international undergraduate applicants are eligible for the merit-based, International Leadership Scholarship. Academic performance, extracurricular activities, and leadership experience are all considered when awarding this scholarship. It is renewable for up to four years. Recipients must maintain full-time enrollment and a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA at The University of Tulsa.

Sponsored Students

If you will be sponsored by a government or agency, your sponsors must provide a signed and/or certified, official letter dated within the last 12 months that indicates that the sponsor will cover all costs. TU will also accept letters issued for admission purposes only.

If you intend to have your spouse and/or children accompany you, the sponsorship letter should also mention coverage of your dependents. If the sponsorship letter does not include your spouse and children, you must provide evidence of sufficient financial means of support for dependents on your Confirmation of Financial Resources.

Find Your Admission Counselor

Tuition, Fees & Expenses

Students who will have family members accompanying them must show an additional $3,000 for a spouse and $1,500 for each dependent child.