How do I accept my Financial Aid?
Financial Aid Package
For entering freshman or transfer students, login to your TU Portal to submit your Intent to Enroll form and complete your application. Your Financial Aid Package will be sent to you at a later date through your TU Portal. You will receive an email when this is available for you to review. Once it is ready for you to review, please follow the instructions below.
For returning students, you will receive an email when your Financial Aid Package is ready for you to review. Please follow the instructions below.
Instructions for Accepting Aid
- Login to your TU Portal.
- Click “Review and accept your Financial Aid Award Package.”
- Most awards include information just below the award name. In some cases, the award name is a link to additional information. Read the information before you accept or decline each award.
- If you are offered a Subsidized Stafford Loan, you must accept all of it before you are allowed to accept the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan.
- If you would like to change the amount of the Subsidized or Unsubsidized loan amount you are accepting, you must submit an email from your official TU email address to Student Financial Services.
- Corrections cannot be made online. To make corrections to your award after you have submitted it online, you must either email a request to Student Financial Services or submit a written request. Emailed requests must come from your official TU email address.
- Because funds are limited, if you decline a certain award now, we may not be able to reinstate it later. Please note that declining, fully or in part, any form of assistance (scholarship, grant, loan, work-study) does not automatically lead to other assistance being increased or substituted. Contact your dedicated Financial Aid Counselor in Student Financial Services to clarify your specific situation.
Aid Requiring Additional Information
Certain types of aid requires additional steps before the aid is fully accepted and can be credited to your Bursar account. These include:
- First time acceptance of Direct Subsidized or Unsubsidized Loans:
- The student will need to login to https://studentaid.gov/ to complete their Entrance Counseling and a Master Promissory Note. Please note, you must have your FSA ID to sign in.
- Federal Direct Parent PLUS Loan: The parent must apply separately at https://studentaid.gov/.
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan: The student must apply separately at https://studentaid.gov/.
Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement
The Annual Student Loan Acknowledgement (ASLA) requirement — which would require students and parents to acknowledge how much they owe in federal loans prior to their first loan disbursement — was set to go into effect for the school award year 2021-2022. However, The Department of Education (ED) decided in March 2021 they would not require borrowers to complete the ASLA for the school award year 2021-2022. Because this requirement was already set up in our software to be confirmed upon completion, you will still see it listed in the self-service financial aid checklist as until it can be removed by a software update.
While the ASLA will still be available on studentaid.gov, completing the ASLA will not clear the “Action Needed” message in the financial aid checklist. Please ignore this checklist requirement. Regardless if you have completed the ASLA requirement or have not completed the ASLA requirement, your loan funds will not be delayed in posting to your student Bursar account for 2021-2022. Contact our office if you have any questions.
Reporting Other Scholarships and Awards
If you will receive other awards from agencies/organizations other than The University of Tulsa, please send a copy of your official award letter to Student Financial Services.