Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions - The University of Tulsa

Financial Aid Frequently Asked Questions

  • Who is eligible to receive federal financial aid?

    Eligibility is determined by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students must be admitted and degree seeking in order to qualify for assistance. Enrollment must be at least half-time, with the exception of Pell recipients, in order to qualify for federal aid. Each year students need to reapply to be considered for financial aid.

    The amount of aid offered to a student is determined by demonstrated financial need. Financial need can be defined most simply as the difference between the amount of money the student and parent(s) can contribute from income and assets based upon a Congressionally approved analysis and the cost of attending The University of Tulsa, less outside awards.

  • Do I have to be a full-time student to receive federal financial aid?

    To be considered for institutional scholarships, you do need to be enrolled full-time (12 hours or more). Students, who are enrolled in at least 6 hours and meet eligibility requirements, may be eligible for federal funds such as loans and grants. Students eligible for the Pell Grant may be enrolled less than half-time.

  • When will I receive my financial aid award?

    You will be notified via your TU email account that your financing plan is available to be reviewed. Accept or decline your award electronically. Please note that if you want to reduce an amount you must print off your financing plan, make the change and return to Student Financial Services.

    Declining, totally or in part, any form of assistance (scholarship, grant, loan, work-study) does not automatically lead to other assistance being increased or substituted. Contact your dedicated Financial Aid Counselor in Student Financial Services to clarify your specific request.

  • Do I have to reapply each year?

    Yes! You must reapply for aid each year you wish to receive assistance. Renewal of aid beyond the first year depends upon your academic record and your continued need, as based on the most recent FAFSA.

  • Do outside scholarships affect my aid?

    Yes, outside scholarships may affect your eligibility for aid. Please forward that information to Student Financial Services so that we can evaluate the impact on your aid package.

  • What is the number of Federal Pell Grant recipients?

    661 (2020-2021)

  • What is the Freshman Retention Rate?


  • What is the priority deadline to apply for financial aid?

    The University of Tulsa does not have a priority deadline to apply for federal financial assistance, however, it is in the best interest of the student to apply early as some federal funding is limited.

    Oklahoma residents participating in the Oklahoma Tuition Aid Grant (OTAG) program should apply as soon as possible after October 1, as funds will be awarded on a first come, first serve basis until depleted.

  • Where do I pick up a refund check?

    If you are receiving a refund, please review the Bursar’s Office Refund Information.  If you need a cash advance to buy books, please contact the Bursar’s Office in McClure Hall. They can be contacted at 918-631-2600 or at

  • How do I purchase books if I haven't received a refund yet?

    Students who are Pell recipients and are receiving scholarships that cover their charges in full, must contact the Bursar’s Office to obtain information on how to purchase their required books in the bookstore.

  • How do I apply for summer aid?

    If you are planning on taking summer classes and would like to be considered for federal aid, complete the Summer Financial Aid Application (available during the spring semester).

  • Do TU scholarships apply to summer school?

    TU Scholarship funding does not apply for Summer courses. TU Scholarships only apply for students who are enrolled full-time for the fall and spring semesters.

  • How will Student Financial Services communicate with me?

    You will receive all correspondence from Student Financial Services via your TU email account.

  • How does the Work-Study program work on TU's campus?

    Read more about TU’s Work-Study program policy and procedures here.

  • What does it mean to be chosen for verification?

    Click here to learn more about the Verification Process.

  • What do I do if my enrollment or living situation changes during the year?

    Immediately report any change in your enrollment or living situation to Student Financial Services.

  • Can TU talk to my parents about my financial aid?

    If you want the university to disclose information about your student account or financial aid with your parents, you will need to provide written consent for us to do so.  Please visit for more information about the protections given to your education records and how to authorize TU to disclose information from your records to others.

  • How do I become an Independent Student?

    You may be considered an Independent student if you can answer yes to at least one of the following:

    Were you born before January 1, 1998?

    As of today, are you married? (Also answer “Yes” if you are separated but not divorced.)

    At the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, JD, PhD, EdD, graduate certificate, etc.)?.

    Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?

    Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?

    Do you now have or will you have children who will receive more than half of their support from you between July 1, 2021 and June 30, 2022?

    Do you have dependents (other than your children or spouse) who live with you and who receive more than half of their support from you, now and through June 30, 2022?

    At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court?

    As determined by a court in your state of legal residence, are you or were you an emancipated minor?

    Does someone other than your parent or stepparent have legal guardianship of you, as determined by a court in your state of legal residence?

    At any time on or after July 1, 2020, did your high school or school district homeless liaison determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

    At any time on or after July 1, 2020, did the director of an emergency shelter or transitional housing program funded by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

    At any time on or after July 1, 2020, did the director of a runaway or homeless youth basic center or transitional living program determine that you were an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless?

  • How is money disbursed at TU?

    Unless otherwise noted, the amount(s) listed on the Financing Plan are yearly awards with one-half applicable to the Fall semester and one-half to the Spring semester, and credited no earlier than the first day of class each semester.

    Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans are estimated on a student’s Financing Plan when we receive a FAFSA. The loans are then processed through the U.S. Department of Education once the student electronically accepts their offer indicating they wish to accept the loans. The funds are credited to the student’s account once the entrance counseling and Master Promissory Note are completed at Both items must be completed before funds are received at TU. The U.S. Department of Education electronically sends TU notification of both completed documents, then the loan funds are credited to the student’s account no earlier than the first day of class each semester. A disbursement funds letter indicating the type of loan(s) and amount(s) will be emailed to the student’s TU email when funds credit. A student has the right to cancel all or any portion of the loan within 14 days of the loan crediting their account. It is the student’s responsibility to notify Student Financial Services, in writing, if they wish to reduce or cancel their student loan(s).

    Refunds due students as a result of financial aid funds exceeding TU charges will be processed by the TU Bursar’s Office. Please click the link to learn more about The Bursar’s Office Refund Policy.  Students should have personal funds to meet necessary initial expenses such as books and supplies. Many families make funds available by establishing a checking account at a local bank.