Loan Counseling - The University of Tulsa

Loan Counseling

Entrance (Loan) Counseling

Students receiving Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans and Graduate PLUS Loans through the Department of Education, must complete Entrance Loan Counseling.

Direct and/or FFEL (Federal Family Education Loan) Loan borrowers complete entrance counseling at least once. In addition to Federal Direct Unsubsidized and/or FFEL Loan entrance counseling, graduate students borrowing a Graduate PLUS Loan must also complete Graduate PLUS entrance counseling.  Parent PLUS borrowers do not complete entrance counseling, but may be required to complete PLUS credit counseling if approved with a credit appeal or an endorser. Note: PLUS credit counseling is not the same as entrance counseling. It is possible for a Graduate PLUS loan borrower to complete both entrance counseling and PLUS credit counseling.

Entrance counseling is designed to help you better understand the terms and conditions of the loan you are about to borrow and your rights and responsibilities when you borrow from the federal government. When you complete the electronic Master Promissory Note (MPN), you are agreeing to repay all the loans made to you under that MPN.

You will need to complete entrance counseling and a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note only once to cover all Federal Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans that you borrow for up to 10 years, and once for Graduate PLUS Loans or Parent PLUS loans that are not endorsed.

Failure to complete these requirements will keep your loan funds from crediting to your student account.

Exit (Loan) Counseling

Federal regulations require a student borrower must complete exit counseling upon ceasing at least half-time attendance, withdrawing or graduating, regardless if you plan to later enroll at TU or transfer to another school.

For the definition of half-time enrollment and an explanation of the TU withdrawal process, please refer to Withdrawal Information.

To ensure you are in compliance with federal regulations and do not risk defaulting on your federal loans, you will need to complete exit counseling.

If you have any questions or concerns about your federal student loans as you complete the entrance counseling, Master Promissory Note, or exit counseling, please contact Student Financial Services.