Housing Requirement - The University of Tulsa

Housing Requirement

All first-year students are required to live in university residence halls. All second-year students are required to live on campus. Both first and second-year students must participate in a university provided meal plan unless they are formally exempt. Students fulfill the requirements after spending two years living and dining on campus (post high school).

Students who will reside in the primary residence of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) within a 20 mile radius of the university will be exempt from the housing and dining requirement.

This policy applies to traditional first and second-year students, international students and transfer students who have not completed two years of residency at another university (post high school).

Married students and students 21 years of age and older prior to start of term are exempt.  Academic credit hours and/or class status do no exempt one from the policy.

Students living on campus:

  • Are more likely to persist in college and complete their baccalaureate degree in four years;
  • Are more likely to earn professional degrees;
  • Are more likely to achieve a higher grade point average;
  • Are reported to have greater satisfaction with their living environment;
  • Are regarded as having a positive self-image, with enhanced self-confidence, public speaking ability and similar measures of self-reliance;
  • Are reported to participate in more extracurricular activities.
  • Have an easier time making new friends;
  • Have a higher retention rate;
  • Have student and professional staff on hand to answer any questions;
  • Always have something to do with a variety of campus activities to choose from;
  • Remain more connected than those who move off campus who report feeling disconnected from the University;
  • Are more likely to come to University events, meetings and programs;
  • Create memories that last a lifetime.

The Housing Agreements and Exemption Application are both available under the “Agreements and Applications” tab in the Housing and Dining Portal