Practice Safety at Home
- Whether you live on-campus or off-campus and whether you live in a residence hall, apartment, or house, always lock your doors and windows while you are away and at night.
- Never open the door for strangers. If you didn’t invite the person, do not open the door unless they are a member of Campus Security, Housing staff, Maintenance/Physical Plant, or the Tulsa Police Department (verified by an official badge).
- If a stranger has come to your door and you feel threatened, call Security (918-631-5555) on campus or Tulsa Police (911) off campus.
Protect Your Valuables
- Never leave your personal property unattended, regardless of whether you are on or off campus.
- Keep your car doors locked at all times and never leave valuables in plain sight inside your vehicle.
- You should get in the habit of writing down serial numbers for property like laptop computers, cell phones, cameras, etc. If any of these items are stolen, the serial number may be used to help track it down.
Be Aware of Your Surroundings When Walking
- Whether you are walking on-campus or off-campus, stay alert to your surroundings.
- Watch what is in front of you and do not allow yourself to be distracted by your phone.
- When walking off-campus, it is best to walk in groups and to stay on busy, well-lighted streets.
- When you pass people on the street, make eye contact. You might even smile and say “hello.”
- Don’t accept rides with strangers, and if someone in a vehicle asks for directions, keep a safe distance from the vehicle.
- If you feel unsafe walking across campus at night, you can call Campus Security (918-631-5555) and request an escort.
- ALWAYS call Campus Security (918-631-5555) if you feel threatened or see suspicious activity on campus.
- It is fine if you call Security and the activity turns out not to be suspicious or criminal in nature. It is better to be safe than sorry!