Office or College
Henry Kendall College of Arts & Sciences
The University of Tulsa (TU) seeks a candidate beginning July 1, 2020, to serve as the Dean of the Henry Kendall College of Arts and Sciences. The Dean leads the College in building and supporting strong degrees across all areas of the Arts and Sciences curriculum, championing the values of a liberal arts education, supporting and promoting excellence in faculty scholarship and creative endeavors, and teaching a high-quality curriculum. The Dean supports the College’s fundraising and development efforts, fosters recruitment, develops and promotes strategic plans for the College, and works with department chairs and program directors in advancing the broad interests of the College. The Dean must work collegially with faculty, staff, fellow members of the President’s Leadership Team, Deans’ Council, other colleges, alumni, and community members to advance the academic mission of the university.
The Dean will join the college at a time of great transition where operational, organizational, and strategic acumen is necessary to determine the future of the liberal arts. TU is undergoing a process of self-examination and strategic re-envisioning generating multiple strong opinions. Trustees, administration, senate, and faculty task forces and committees are examining philosophical, structural and financial options. Given this situation, we seek a Dean who values a residential liberal arts college education in today’s changing higher education landscape. This person must respect the traditional curriculum of a liberal arts college and be open to innovation and capable of thoughtfully engaging all audiences in examining what a 21st century liberal arts education entails. The Dean of A&S will have a significant opportunity to impact the long-term success of the College and the University in ensuring the liberal arts stay strong at TU. We seek a Dean who is strategic, fair, creative, collaborative, and transparent.
The University of Tulsa, Henry Kendall College of Arts & Sciences, and Tulsa
With a 125-year history and $1.1 billion endowment, TU is a 216-acre residential campus, with approximately 4,400 undergraduate and graduate students and 348 faculty. TU is home to diverse facilities such as the McFarlin Special Collections, the Bob Dylan archive, multiple laboratories, Institutes, and consortia and has strong relationships with Gilcrease Museum, the Helmerich Center for American Research at Gilcrease, and the Laureate Institute for Brain Research.
The Kendall College of Arts and Sciences is home to 798 undergraduate students and 126 graduate students pursing 25 bachelor’s degrees, eight graduate degrees, five unique minors and one certificate degree, though the long-term sustainability of many programs is under review. Graduates of the undergraduate programs have a 96% job/graduate school placement rate. The Dean serves as leader of over 200 (125 full time) gifted faculty members and 23 talented staff across multiple programs. The college has multiple galleries, literary journals, performing arts spaces and studios, and laboratories.
TU is located in midtown Tulsa, approximately two miles from downtown. Tulsa is a family-friendly, affordable place to live, with easy access to urban, suburban, and rural areas. Tulsa is home to a growing rich and diverse cultural and culinary scene, as well as a beautiful nationally recognized riverside park.
- Doctoral-level degree or equivalent terminal degree in a field in or complementary to one of the disciplines in the College
- Eligibility for a tenured faculty appointment indicating a proven record of achievement in research, scholarship, service and teaching in the Arts, Humanities or Social Sciences
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Ability to articulate the importance of the Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences to the administration, the philanthropic community and beyond
- Ability to advocate persuasively for A&S faculty, programs and funding
- Adept at managing change and providing unifying leadership
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse groups
- Clear evidence of leadership capacity and a record of administrative experience (dean, department chair, program director, etc.) demonstrating the ability to achieve, influence, persuade and inspire.
- Strong commitment to successful fundraising
- A commitment to recruit, retain, include and mentor students, faculty and staff from a wide range of underrepresented and marginalized groups including those from diverse racial, ethnic, and LGBTQAIP backgrounds.
- Rank of Full Professor
- Fundraising Experience
- Experience with accreditation standards & assessment procedures
- Experience with budgeting and financial oversight
- Experience with college advising
The University of Tulsa seeks to recruit and retain talented students, faculty and staff from diverse backgrounds. The University of Tulsa is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and encourages qualified candidates across all group demographics to apply. The University does not discriminate on the basis of personal status or group characteristic including, but not limited to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, ancestry, or marital status.
Please submit a cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience, qualifications, and vision for the future of Arts and Sciences education and a CV to: The University of Tulsa, Office of Human Resources, 800 S. Tucker Drive, Tulsa, OK 74104 or submit online at utulsa.edu/job-application.
Applicants who progress in the search process will be asked to provide five references, accompanying letters of recommendation, and official transcripts. Application review will begin on December 15th and continue until position is filled.
Confidential inquiries and expressions of interest may be addressed to Search Committee Chair, Elana Newman, at AS-SearchChair@utulsa.edu.
The University of Tulsa is an Equal Opportunity Employer Disabled/ Veteran.