Seven University of Tulsa students and alumni have received graduate research fellowships totaling $966,000 from the National Science Foundation. The NSF program supports outstanding graduate students pursuing master’s and doctoral degrees in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. Recipients win three years of funding to pursue graduate research and advance their education. NSF recognizes the following 2016-17 research scholars:
· Maria Castaneda earned a bachelor’s degree in biochemistry in 2014 and is pursuing a doctorate in chemistry at the University of Texas-Dallas.
· Devin Stranford received bachelor’s degrees in biology and chemical engineering in 2015. She is a member of the chemical engineering doctoral program at Northwestern University.
· Timothy Brown graduated from TU’s engineering physics program in 2014 and is pursuing a doctorate in materials science and engineering at Texas A&M University.
· Hannah Emnett is a mechanical engineering senior from Imperial, Mo. She is a member of the Golden Hurricane rowing team and a Tulsa Undergraduate Research Challenge (TURC) scholar. She will attend graduate school and specialize in nanotechnology research.
· Austin Evans is a chemistry and biochemistry senior from Broken Arrow, Okla., who plans to pursue master’s and doctoral degrees in materials chemistry. He is a TURC scholar, a 2016 Rhodes scholar finalist and a past DAAD RISE scholar.
· Jordan Hoyt is a mechanical engineering senior from Broken Arrow. He has participated in the NanoJapan International Research Experience and conducted research sessions at Colorado School of Mines and Rutgers University. Hoyt will pursue a doctorate while researching wind turbine technology.
· Katy Riojas is a mechanical engineering senior from Parkville, Mo. She is captain of the Golden Hurricane women’s soccer team and a TURC scholar. She plans to focus on medical device development in graduate school.
For more information on TU’s nationally competitive award winners, please contact the Office of University Relations at 918-631-3730 or email@example.com.