The Department of Campus Security has an authorized full-time force of 38 armed security officers and 11 unarmed security officers who are OK-CLEET (Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) certified. The department is augmented by the employment of off-duty Tulsa Police Officers who assist with campus patrol and security at large campus sporting and special events.
Officers conduct foot, bicycle and vehicular patrols of the campus and residence halls – 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. The department works closely with the Tulsa Police Department and other federal and state law enforcement agencies to ensure awareness of incidents that may occur on or off campus.
The department’s Communications Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with APCO-certified Public Safety Dispatchers (Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials) and other support personnel, who assist in the safety of our campus community and properties, by monitoring all electronic security systems (fire and intrusion alarms, access control systems, surveillance cameras, emergency phones and radios).
During an emergency:
- Remain as calm as possible
- Notify security or the police immediately
- Stay on the telephone until help arrives
If you’ve witnessed a crime:
- Mentally estimate the suspect’s height, weight, and age
- Remember identifiable characteristics, like facial features, hair, etc.
- Listen to speech for special characteristics
- Note type and color of clothing
- Look for peculiarities such as tattoos and scars