PREFERRED NAMES FOR USE IN CLASS ROSTERS
To request use of a preferred name, rather than a legal name, for class rosters and internal university communications, please complete the form below and submit to email@example.com. Be aware that declaration of a preferred name will not change what appears on a transcript, tax document, or other documents shared with external entities.
Preferred Name Change Form
PREFERRED NAMES ON DIPLOMAS
By default, students’ legal names are printed on diplomas. At the time students apply to graduate, they have the option to have a preferred name printed on the diploma, appear in the Commencement Program, and be read aloud at the ceremony.
The student name listed on a diploma or certificate or used for Commencement documents/events must match the official name on file at the University (first name, last name) with the following exceptions:
- Option of first name or initial
- Options of diminutive or alternate form for the first name
- Option of a first name which conforms with the graduate’s genuine expression of gender identity
- Omission of the first name when the middle name is used as a salutary name
- Option of middle name or initial
- Inclusion of former or maiden family name
- Inclusion of proper capitalization and accentuation of name
- Inclusion of maternal surnames as culturally appropriate
Neither titles nor degrees previously earned will be included as part of a graduate’s name on a diploma.
All requests are reviewed on a case by case basis. The preferred name requested on the diploma must match the preferred name listed in Ellucian Colleague. This is necessary for future non-third-party verification that may take place. Instructions for updating preferred name in university system listed below.
If a student decides to change the diploma name after an original diploma is issued, requestors will be required to pay for a replacement diploma. Replacement diplomas issued due to name changes will also list any names included on previous versions for reference purposes below the new preferred name.
Any preferred names requested for inclusion on the diploma will not apply to transcripts, which will continue to only list the student’s verified, legal name. Primary name changes are only permitted in cases of legal name changes through the Courts. Students must keep in mind that certain countries and professions require legal names to be printed on diplomas.
Requesting Preferred Name for Diploma and Commencement Ceremonies
- Complete the Graduation Application in Self-Service at https://selfservice.utulsa.edu the semester planned for degree completion and include preferred name for use on diploma and in Commencement ceremonies.
- Submit Preferred Name Change Request to Office of the Registrar using Preferred Name Change – FILLABLE.pdf at to log name variation in Ellucian Colleague system for 3rd party verifications. Completed form must be forwarded to firstname.lastname@example.org for processing.
Requesting Replacement Diploma with New Name
To request a diploma with a new name, submit request by mail to the address below:
The University of Tulsa
Office of the Registrar
800 South Tucker Drive
Tulsa, Oklahoma 74104-9700
The request must include:
- Full name to be included on new diploma, indicate whether it is a new legal or preferred name.
- Full name previously included on diploma
- Year of graduation
- The reason for replacement
- The previous diploma hardcopy
- Student signature
- Payment or receipt of payment
Only one diploma per degree may be issued for a student.
Replacement diplomas will be issued in the legal name of record unless a student completes the following:
- Graduates wishing to change the name on their diploma to a preferred name will have the new preferred name entered in university systems for future 3rd party authentication purposes.
- Graduates wishing to change the name on their diploma to a new legal name should also submit their request with a copy of the social security card in the new name and a copy of the Marriage Certificate/Court Order granting the name change.