Benefits of being a TURC junior scholar
TURC junior scholars were immersed in a research atmosphere that is usually reserved for graduate students. Each scholar worked with a faculty research mentor and research team on a nationally significant research project. In addition to working closely with a faculty mentor, each scholar was paired with a TURC undergraduate mentor who had considerable experience with the project from a student’s point of view. A range of modern equipment was available to support the research – such as facilities for materials fabrication, modern chemical and biological analysis facilities, and electron microscopy resources that are among the best in the southwest, and we will share these resources again in 2022.
Past junior scholar research opportunities
Research opportunities for the summer 2019 program spanned a range of disciplines and involved a variety of time commitment. Here are some topics we hope to bring back in 2022:
- Viral diseases and genome characterization of viruses.
- Biochemistry of disease
- Reaction discovery and development, organic chemistry
- Chemical compatibility of 3D printed parts, 3D printing
- Design and development of devices to aid persons with disabilities
- Experimental nanotechnology
- Explore the publishing world while also digging into the works of James Joyce
- Art, gaming, sports, writing, creativity in program development, Oklahoma Center for Humanities
- Stability of sports supplements
Past requirements for applicants
- Applicants must have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA in a rigorous high school curriculum.
- Applicants must have a composite ACT score of at least 28 or a combined score of at least 1260 on the critical reading and math portions of the SAT.
- Other requirements are listed on the TURC junior scholars application form.
The deadline to apply was May 15, 2022.
Decisions on applications
All applications for past students were reviewed by a faculty selection committee, and decisions were made based on merit, taking into account all information provided by applicants.
Please contact Robert Sheaff with any questions at email@example.com.