Attention Tulsa Area High School Counselors
We regret to inform you that Jr. TURC will not be offered in summer 2021 due to COVID.
The TURC Junior Scholars Program has recognized high school juniors with outstanding potential for a career in research by providing opportunities to participate in cutting-edge research projects. Due to COVID, the program can not be sustained since it is primarily in-person. We will resume the program again in summer 2022.
Benefits of Being a TURC Junior Scholar
TURC Junior Scholars were immersed in a research atmosphere that is usually reserved for graduate students. Each scholar worked with a faculty research mentor and research team on a nationally significant research project. In addition to working closely with a faculty mentor, each scholar was paired with a TURC undergraduate mentor who had considerable experience with the project from a student’s point of view. A range of modern equipment is available to support the research – such as facilities for materials fabrication, modern chemical and biological analysis facilities, and electron microscopy resources that are among the best in the southwest, and we will share these resources again in 2022.
Past Junior Scholar Research Opportunities
Research opportunities for the summer 2019 program spanned a range of disciplines and involved a variety of time commitments. Here are some topics we hope to bring back in 2022:
- Viral Diseases and genome characterization of viruses.
- Biochemistry of disease
- Reaction discovery and development, Organic Chemistry
- Chemical Compatibility of 3D Printed Parts., 3D Printing
- Design and development of devices to aid persons with disabilities
- Experimental nanotechnology
- Explore the publishing world while also digging into the works of James Joyce
- Art, gaming, sports, writing, creativity in program development, Oklahoma Center for Humanities
- Stability of sports supplements
Past Requirements for Applicants
- Applicants must have at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA in a rigorous high school curriculum.
- Applicants must have a composite ACT score of at least 28 or a combined score of at least 1260 on the critical reading and math portions of the SAT.
- Applicants must receive approval from their school to participate in the program. Download the 2019 TURC JSP School Approval Form.
- Other requirements are listed on the TURC Junior Scholars application form.
Jr. TURC will not be available in 2021.
Decisions on Applications
All applications for past students were reviewed by a faculty selection committee, and decisions were made based on merit, taking into account all information provided by applicants.
This was a zero-credit non-residential program; therefore, there was no tuition.