The University welcomes the use of the Sharp Chapel for weddings of all denominations and faiths, as well as for interfaith weddings. Applicants need to be affiliated with the University of Tulsa to be married here. Affiliated members include students, faculty, staff, alumni, trustees and retirees, and their immediate family members (father, mother, sister, brother, grandparents, children).
The staff at Sharp Memorial Chapel has organized all the info you need for your wedding at Sharp Chapel. Specific policies and guidelines set forth by The University of Tulsa governing campus conduct and the use of Chapel facilities are to be strictly followed.
After reviewing this information, we encourage you to contact Mary McKee at 918-631-2546.
Sharp Chapel office hours for the academic school year are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Wedding Planning Packet
For details to planning a wedding at Sharp Memorial Chapel, download our wedding packet.
The sanctuary seats approximately 250-280 people; 250 on the main floor and 20 to 30 in the balcony. The sanctuary aisle is 75 feet long. There are a total of 38 pews on the main floor, 19 on either side of the center aisle. The walls are brown and buff colored stone. The floors are blue and grey slate. The wooden Tudor arches of the sanctuary extend 42 feet above the floor.
A concert baby grand piano and an organ are available in the sanctuary. The organ was designed and installed by the Schantz Organ Company of Orrville, Ohio. It has three manual consoles with 33 stops, for a total of 1,750 pipes and a set of 25 Deagan Chimes. The pipes and chimes are placed behind screens at either side of the great Chancel Window. They include classic flute and reed choruses, often used in 18th century compositions as well as some of the more recently developed tone colors for playing 19th century and contemporary works. Music Regulations apply see our music regulations page.
Josephine Meditation Chapel
The prayer chapel seats approximately 20 people, with four pews that may be arranged to suit the couple’s preferences.
The Buford Atrium will accommodate up to 50 seated or 100 standing guests.
Included in your rental for no additional fee, the bridal party may use the Canterbury Suite on the second floor for waiting or dressing.
Food Catering Services
University policy dictates that catering for all events on campus must be provided by Sodexo Dining Services. For catering information, please contact the Dining Operations Assistant at 918-631-2145.
Additional Facility Information
For information about other reception areas available on campus, contact Sharp Chapel, 631-2546.
The bride and groom may use the florist of their choice. The following guidelines will help with planning the decoration and use of Sharp Chapel for a wedding.
- Furniture, (pulpit, lectern, pulpit chairs, tables, etc.) and/or Symbols (Bible, Baptismal font, candlesticks, etc.) may not be moved or displaced in any manner. This rule is non-negotiable, NO EXCEPTIONS!
- The communion table/altar may not be decorated. Communion may be served during your wedding service. Since this is a ritual and sacrament of the church, it is appropriate for these elements to be placed on the Holy Table. The elements are provided by either the couple or the minister/priest. If sacramental wine is used, it must be furnished by the minister/priest.
- No tacks, nails, wires, metal, tape or similar harmful items are to be used to attach flowers, ribbons, or other items to pews, walls or other furniture.
- The number of candelabra is limited to 3. This does not include the use of a unity candle. No lighted candles are to be carried in the Sanctuary. The university does provide two brass candle lighters. Persons lighting candles must be at least 12 years of age and/or over 5 feet tall. Candles or hurricane lamps are not to be attached to the pews or used in the aisles nor may they be placed in the windows. Lighted candles are to be used in the chancel area only.
- Please inform your florist of the specific three-hour time block for which you have rented the Chapel. Please do not ask permission to come in earlier than the specified time. It is not possible due to other scheduling commitments.
- The building will be unlocked at the beginning of the three-hour time block for which you have rented the Chapel. Please do not ask permission to come in earlier than the specified time. It is not possible due to other scheduling commitments. All personal and rented items must be removed prior to locking the facility at the end of the three-hour time block. If your reception is to be held on campus at a location other than Sharp Chapel all personal property should be removed from the Chapel before departing for the reception.
- The University of Tulsa assumes no responsibility for articles or equipment left unattended during or after the wedding and reception. Please call TU Security lost and found at 918-631-5555 to check on lost articles.
- Smoking is not permitted anywhere inside the chapel building. ` Food and beverages are not allowed in any part of the Sanctuary or Prayer Chapel. University policy forbids the serving and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages on the Chapel premises. ` Makeup may only be applied in the women’s restroom area.
- Birdseed, rice and/or real rose petals are not to be thrown or scattered inside or outside of building. (We allow silk rose petals to be scattered in the aisle by your flower girl if desired.)
- The rules presented in these guidelines apply to all individuals associated with your wedding.
- Download Wedding Guidelines (Full packet download in PDF)
Sharp Chapel accommodates handicapped visitors, with an automated double doorway on the South side of the Buford Atrium and with widened stalls in the public restrooms.
Couples are responsible for selecting and contacting the minister of their choice. Clergy or other properly recognized public officials who are registered with the County Clerk’s office are eligible to officiate at weddings in the Chapel. Should the couple wish to have a minister from outside the state of Oklahoma perform the ceremony, that person is required to register his/her credentials with the County Court Clerk’s office. The minister must either present credentials at the clerk’s office or mail a copy of credentials with a stamped, self-addressed envelope for return of book and page number to be used for the marriage license. Any further questions may be directed to the County Clerk’s office at 918-596-5452.
MINISTER’S NAME CHURCH AFFILIATION PHONE Dr. Jeff Francis Presbyterian
918-631-2546 Rev. Todd Freeman Presbyterian 918-592-5800 Steve Lewis Southern Baptist 918-494-3755 M. Miles Henry Non-Denominational 918-455-2470
The couple is responsible for securing services of musicians for the ceremony. Decisions about music for the ceremony should be made in consultation with the minister conducting the service and the contracted musician(s).
Organists and/or other musicians are paid directly by the bride and groom.
The Sharp Chapel is located at The University of Tulsa at 800 South Tucker Drive Tulsa, Oklahoma 74104.
Suggested parking areas include:
- The Westby Center Lot at 7th and South Evanston
- The Student Union Visitor Lot on 5th Place between Florence and Gary
- The McFarlin Lot at East 5th Place and South Florence
Visitors to The University of Tulsa campus may park in any legal parking space.
The couple may select a photographer of their choice. It will be important to include the photographer in planning when the wedding pictures should be taken, and what amount of time should be allowed. For example, if wedding pictures are to be taken immediately after the ceremony, time should be allowed for the guests to leave the sanctuary and at least one half hour must be allowed for the photography. And, some time should be allotted to remove gifts, clothing, and all remaining personal property from the building. It is therefore recommended that the wedding begin no later than one and one half hours from the start of the three-hour time period.
Any flash pictures should be taken before and after the ceremony. Please use existing light only during the wedding service, to minimize disruptions. Video cameras may be stationed in the balcony and on either side of the chancel area. The camera in the chancel area should be on a stationary tripod to avoid movement that might distract from the ceremony.
The Sharp Chapel Atrium is available to rent for receptions. The fees vary depending on the couple’s affiliation with the university (Rental Cost). The Atrium will accommodate up to 50 people seated, or up to 100 standing or in a receiving lines arrangement.
Wedding receptions held in the Chapel must be catered by Sodexo Dining Services Department. (The wedding cake may be brought in by the wedding party.) Catering arrangements and details are available through the Dining Operations Assistant, at 918-631-2145
University policy forbids the serving and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages on the Chapel premises.