The University of Tulsa welcomes the ability to network and engage students, alumni, faculty, staff, prospective students, parents and TU friends and fans on social media. Through a network of social media platforms to include, but are not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, YouTube and any other external social media platforms, we establish an ongoing positive conversation with the community and a dynamic and accessible web presence.
The University of Tulsa strongly encourages the strategic integration of any digital media platform that can help achieve the objectives of the university and facilitate communication. Our goal is to connect with the TU family and provide updates about the university. We encourage the expression of opinions and discussion of those topics which surround our great university. Users should respect the views of others, even if they disagree.
The Office of Marketing and Communications shall oversee The University of Tulsa’s presence on digital media platforms. The University of Tulsa reserves the right to moderate any and all content. Content and images will be removed if it violates any of the following criteria:
- Obscene, pornographic, defamatory, racist, excessively violent, threatening, bullying or otherwise objectionable or injurious
- Personal attacks on other users, University of Tulsa faculty, staff or students or the university itself
- Harassing, threatening, insulting, defaming or bullying another person or entity
- Containing illegal activity
- Advertisements, political or fundraising solicitations, spam or copyright/trademark infringement
- Off-topic posts inappropriate for the forum
The University of Tulsa reserves the right, at our discretion, to remove any post or to revoke a user’s privilege to post to our digital media platforms. Comments and images posted by others do not reflect the opinions of The University of Tulsa. Violators to this policy will be subject to disciplinary action, UP TO AND INCLUDING DISMISSAL, or in the case of employees, termination from the university. This includes comments and images on both The University of Tulsa AND external social media channels.
This social media policy is subject to change at the discretion of The University of Tulsa.
If you have any questions regarding this policy or if you are interested in creating a social media account affiliated with The University of Tulsa, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Social media best practices and challenges develop rapidly, and we are continually improving and adapting our strategies for using these media. The following policy should be adopted by those managing existing social media sites that involve the university, colleges, departments and programs. TU greatly appreciates your help ensuring our social media communications are consistent.
Maintaining Social Media Accounts
Anyone who formally communicates on behalf of any TU organization, department or college is responsible for understanding and following these social media procedures. Social media accounts will be reviewed regularly, and accounts that fail to meet these standards will be removed. It’s important to recognize that our content can have far-reaching consequences, potentially hurting the TU image and reputation, as well as those of your colleagues, peers and everyone affiliated with TU.
Working with the Department of Strategic Marketing and Communication:
- A representative of the TU Department of Strategic Marketing and Communication must have administrative rights to the page.
- Content and images intended to endorse commercial products or services are not permitted under TU policy and will be removed.
- Content and images that violate any TU policy will be removed.
- Content and images with profanity, offensive language or hate speech will be removed.
- Content and images that attack or threaten TU employees or students will be removed.
- TU must have the contact information of one of the social media accounts administrators. This ensures no content is published during a campus emergency.
We need your help to make TU’s social media exciting, engaging, inclusive and strategic. If you are interested in improving your content, please reach out to Marketing and Communications. Let us help you best target your audience and use up-to-date social media marketing strategies. We appreciate your cooperation.