Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions about Access
Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Life
Frequently Asked Questions about Accommodations and Disabilities

Frequently Asked Questions about Access

Q: Where can I find information about building accessibility?
A: You can download and print the ADA Accessibility Campus Map.

Q: Where can I find information about accessibility at a specific campus program/event?
A: Campus events and sponsoring group contact information can be located on the Events Calendar. You can contact the event organizer if you have questions about accessibility or contact CSAS for information. Information about events at the Lorton Performing Arts Center can be found on their page as well.

Q: Where can I find locations for ADA accessible seating at sporting events?
A: You can find information under “Ticketing” online at The seating charts indicating ADA accessible seating can also be found online. Please contact CSAS or the Ticketing Office for other questions.

Q: Where can I find information about scholarships for students with disabilities?
A: You may locate this information online: Undergraduate Scholarships.

Q: How do I get an ADA placard for my car to park on campus?
A: If you have a disability, your doctor can provide verification for you to submit to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety to get an ADA placard to display on your car.  This will allow you to park in any ADA parking spot in any lot on campus. You must still display a valid TU parking permit as well, but the ADA placard from DPS will enable parking in any of the lots in the ADA parking spots. Should you find no ADA parking spots available in the lot you need, contact Parking Services or Campus Security. For information about accessible parking and temporary accessible parking on campus, please visit Parking Services.

Q: I have a physical disability and am concerned about inclement weather. What can I do?
A: Students can register their disability with CSAS. CSAS will notify Campus Security and Shuttle Services that the student may occasionally experience transportation difficulty in inclement weather and these resources can assist. Visitors may contact Campus Security at 918-631-5555 for transportation difficulties in inclement weather and assistance will be provided as available when officers are not responding to other calls. Additionally, if snow or other weather presents barriers in pedestrian travel paths, please contact Physical Plant for assistance (918-631-2287). As a student, if inclement weather presents problems getting to class, contact your professor to discuss what to do. The Shuttle Services are accessible and information on routes can be found on the printable Shuttle Map.

Frequently Asked Questions about Academic Life

Q: What is a GPA and how do I figure it for University grades? 
A: Grades are based on the traditional 4 point scale:  A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0.  The last number of your class (ex: ENGL 1033 would be 3) shows the number of units attempted or completed.  Multiply the grade you received by the number of units.  For example, an A in ENGL 1033 would be 4 (A) X 3=12.  Your semester grade is all of your classes averaged together. Your cumulative GPA is all of your semester GPAs averaged together.

Q: It is time to enroll—how do I do that?
A: Enrollment is handled differently in each academic college. Students should first visit with their Academic Adviser to plan classes for the semester. Enrollment dates are announced for each semester and are determined based on seniority. Any student receiving accommodations is also entitled to priority enrollment (enrolling a day before anyone else can enroll). Students actually select and enroll in courses by logging in to Self Service.

Q: Does a “W” count negatively toward my GPA?
A: It does show up on your transcript, but it does not get calculated in your GPA.

Q: What is an Incomplete?
A: An Incomplete on your transcript indicates that a portion of the course work has not been completed before the end of the semester.  A grade of “I” is given when an arrangement between the student and the professor is agreed upon before the end of the semester. The instructor designates a time limit for completing the remaining requirements of the course.  When the work is turned in, the grade is submitted and that grade goes on the transcript. If the deadline passes and the work has not been turned in, the grade turns to an automatic “F,” so it is very important to pay attention to the deadline and make sure to turn in work before that.

Q: What is academic probation?
A: Undergraduates are placed on academic probation if their GPA falls below the requirements for their college. This figure varies from college to college.  Students on academic probation are given certain requirements to fulfill in a set time period.  Students are provided some amount of time to get their GPA where it needs to be before any other consequences may occur.

Q: How do I get off academic probation?
A: Undergraduates are restored to good academic standing when their cumulative GPA reaches the level required by their college. Each college has their own grade point requirement.

Q: What if I’m dismissed?
A: Students can be dismissed by their College if their GPA falls below the absolute essential required GPA. An appeal can be filed after talking to an Academic Adviser.  Students who are dismissed can generally return after a year, dependent on the decision of the Associate Dean.

Q: Can I repeat a class?
A: A student can retake a class to improve his/her GPA. The new grade replaces the previous one (even if the grade is lower).

Q: What if I miss the deadline to withdraw from a class?
A: Nothing can be done once the withdraw/drop deadline has passed.

Q: What is the biggest change between high school and a university for students?
A:You’re now in control, and while that can be good, there are many problems that can occur. You will have to navigate these changes and differences, but there are many people on campus who can help. Check the Student Resources page for some locations. Learning to manage the independence you acquire upon adulthood (turning 18) is an important task on the journey toward living a productive, positive life.

Q: What are the main consequences of missing a class?
A: Missing a class is like buying a ticket for a special concert and then not going.  You’re wasting the money you spent.  In a university, you might miss a pop quiz that can’t be made up; you might miss info for next week’s exam; you might miss extra credit points for simply attending.  You could get lower grades, and possibly could end up failing the class and having to repeat it.

Q: What can I do to better my chances for an A in my classes?
A:Go to class regularly.  Do the homework, either assigned or optional.  Take notes in class.  Talk to your professor when you have concerns or questions.  Get a tutor when needed.  Be organized with your time management skills.  And finally, have a positive attitude.  Thousands have graduated from The University of Tulsa.  By taking charge of your academics, you can be one of them!

Frequently Asked Questions about Accommodations and Disabilities

Q: I think I might have a learning disability. How can I get tested?
A: CSAS can make referrals to do testing to determine if you have a disability of some kind. While the testing is not done on campus, there are numerous resources in Tulsa.

Q: I would like to get accommodations. What do I need to do?
A: CSAS offers a number of accommodations to students with disabilities. Some of the most common include extended time on exams, taking exams in a distraction-reduced environment, priority enrollment for classes, interpreter support for the classroom, and class note-taking assistance. In order to qualify for accommodations, students provide documentation of their disability to CSAS. Depending on the type of disability, there is different information that will need to be provided by the student’s diagnosing professional. Students can schedule an appointment with CSAS staff to discuss the appropriate documentation needed and accommodations available. Once the documentation has been submitted, the student’s file is sent to the Eligibility Committee. The Eligibility Committee reviews the documentation and makes determinations about appropriate accommodations. The decision is then given to the student in writing and CSAS staff will meet with the student to get the accommodations set up.

Q: I am receiving accommodations. How are my instructors notified of the accommodations I receive?
A: A student’s record is considered private, protected by federal law (the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act). Because of this, CSAS does not make any notification to instructors regarding a student’s record. If a student is receiving accommodations, CSAS will prepare a letter for each of the student’s faculty members at the beginning of each semester. The student may choose to give these letters to the instructors in order to utilize accommodations by selecting which accommodations to use through the Disability Services Portal. It is up to the student to provide this notification to the instructors, and a student does not have to utilize accommodations for every class unless they choose to do so. The letters for instructors merely state the accommodations the student is entitled to receive, and does not contain any information regarding the reason for the accommodations (e.g., a disability).

Q: Should I be concerned about the impact my record with CSAS may have on future school and employment opportunities?
A: Because a student’s record is private and protected by federal law, information contained in the student’s record may not be released to anyone besides the student without permission given, in writing, by the student to release that information. If a student would like information shared with someone (e.g., a faculty member, a physician, a family member), the student may sign a release form that would give permission to release information. Even University staff are not entitled to the information in a student’s record unless they have a legitimate educational need to know the information, as defined by federal law. Prospective employers would not have access to the student’s record without a signed release form. For more information about exceptions to the privacy of a student’s record, please contact CSAS or visit the FERPA website.

Q: I am struggling in a class. What help is available?
A: There are a number of resources available on campus. CSAS coordinates tutoring services for campus, and students may contact CSAS in order to find a tutor. CSAS also offers academic success coaching to students. These are one-on-one meetings with trained staff members who work with students to improve study skills, time management, test-taking strategies, etc.

Q: I am interested in attending the University of Tulsa, but would like to know more about services and accommodations available through CSAS before making my decision. How can I do this?
A: CSAS encourages students to check all their options before making a final decision about where to go to school. CSAS often meets with prospective students to go over assistance available and give students a chance to meet the staff who would be helping them, as well as to tour the office. To schedule a visit, please call us at 918-631-2315. We look forward to meeting you!

Q: I have had to miss a lot of class due to my disability or other concerns. What are my options?
A: Students in this situation should schedule an appointment with CSAS to discuss available options. CSAS will work with the student as well as faculty and staff members to try to help a student recover academically. Students should contact CSAS as soon as this becomes an issue in order to have the best chance of turning the semester around. In the event a student will not be able to return to class, CSAS staff will discuss options with the student and work to get the student on a path where they could eventually return.