Housing Requirement - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Housing Requirement

All first-year students are required to live in university residence halls. All second-year students are required to live on campus. Both first and second-year students must participate in a university-provided meal plan unless they are formally exempt. Students fulfill the requirements after spending two years living and dining on campus (post-high school).

Students who will reside in the primary residence of their parent(s) or legal guardian(s) within a 20-mile radius of the university will be exempt from the housing and dining requirement.

This policy applies to traditional first and second-year students, international students, and transfer students who have not completed two years of residency at another university (post-high school).

Married students and students 21 years of age and older before the start of the term are exempt. Academic credit hours and/or class status do not exempt one from the policy.

Students living on campus:

  • Are more likely to persist in college and complete their baccalaureate degree in four years;
  • Are more likely to earn professional degrees;
  • Are more likely to achieve a higher grade point average;
  • Are reported to have greater satisfaction with their living environment;
  • Are regarded as having a positive self-image, with enhanced self-confidence, public speaking ability and similar measures of self-reliance;
  • Are reported to participate in more extracurricular activities.
  • Have an easier time making new friends;
  • Have a higher retention rate;
  • Have student and professional staff on hand to answer any questions;
  • Always have something to do with a variety of campus activities to choose from;
  • Remain more connected than those who move off campus who report feeling disconnected from the University;
  • Are more likely to come to University events, meetings and programs;
  • Create memories that last a lifetime.

The Housing Agreements and Exemption Application are both available under the “Agreements and Applications” tab in the Housing and Dining Portal.