What is Terracycling?
TerraCycle is a highly awarded, international up-cycling and recycling company that collects difficult-to-recycle packaging and products that it repurposes into affordable, innovative products. TerraCycle is considered the world’s leader in the collection and reuse of non-recyclable, post-consumer waste. A user joins a “brigade” that is a specific set of recyclables, and they begin collecting. Once the collection has reached the specific brigade requirements, the recyclables can be mailed back.
What TU is collecting: Our “Brigades”
- Toothpaste tubes and caps
- Toothbrush and toothpaste tube outer packaging
- Floss containers
- Hair care packaging: shampoo bottles and caps, conditioner bottles and caps, hair gel tubes and caps, hair spray bottles and triggers, and hair paste plastic jars and caps
- Skin Care packaging: lip balm tubes, face soap dispensers and tubes, face lotion bottles, tubes and plastic jars, body wash containers, soap tubes and dispensers, body lotion dispensers and bottles, shaving foam tubes (no cans) and hand lotion bottles and tubes
- Cosmetics packaging: lipstick cases, lip gloss tubes, mascara tubes, eye shadow cases, bronzer cases, foundation packaging and bottles, powder cases, eyeliner cases, eyeliner pencils, eye shadow tubes, concealer tubes, concealer sticks and lip liner pencils
- Standard cell phones, smart phones and iPhones
- Digital cameras, camcorders and graphing calculators
- Select toner cartridges and inkjet cartridges (see attached)
- iPod devices
- Laptops, notebooks, e-readers, tablets and iPads
- Family-size snack bags
- Individual Snack bags
- Multipack snack bags
- Pens and pen caps
- Mechanical pencils
- Markers and marker caps
- Permanent markers and permanent marker caps
The program currently is in John Mabee Hall (see image below), Sorority Row and the Collins Fitness Center.