Graduate Financial Assistance - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Graduate Financial Assistance

Stipends vary according to the amount of work required and the experience of the student. Full-time awards include a minimum stipend of approximately $14,349 for Master’s students and $19,000 for Doctoral students for the nine-month academic year. Tuition scholarship awards covering up to nine credit hours of tuition per semester are also available.

Students awarded financial assistance must be enrolled in at least nine hours of graduate work during the fall and spring semesters. Students must also maintain a 3.0 grade-point average in graduate studies to remain on an assistantship, fellowship or scholarship.

The University of Tulsa considers that a full-time graduate student receiving a graduate assistantship has a full-time commitment. Any employment in addition to the assistantship without the written permission of the Graduate School is specifically prohibited. Any violation of this policy will result in the immediate termination of the assistantship.

Applicants interested in a teaching or research assistantship should submit their application for admission no later than Feb. 1 for admission the next fall semester. Some specialized assistantship, fellowship and scholarship programs have a deadline of Jan. 15 and require the submission of a separate application. Please consult the specific award program for the correct application deadline.

Need-Based Financial Aid

Need-based financial assistance for all students is handled by the Office of Student Financial Services. For more information about these funding opportunities.

Merit-Based Scholarships

Available to incoming full-time and part-time students, merit-based scholarships are awarded based on a student’s academic profile. The scholarship committee considers a student’s GPA, GMAT or GRE scores, and other academic background information. The best part? This option does not require an application!


Open to all full-time students admitted to master’s or doctoral degrees. Applicants interested in a department teaching or research assistantship should select “Yes” for the assistantship question on the application for admission.


Scholarships & External Funding Opportunities

Tuition only and external graduate scholarship funding information can help students fund advanced degrees.

Scholarships & External Funding Opportunities

Research and Travel Grants

The University of Tulsa student research and travel grants helps students to engage in worthwhile research projects and presentations at  national or international forums and professional meetings.

Research and Travel Grants

  • Loan Deferment Information

    If you are entering The University of Tulsa AND have student loan debt, please self-report this school change to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS). This will assist you in obtaining an in-school deferment status if eligible.

    1. Click below for the Student Access page of NSLDS
    2. Log in using your FSAID
    3. Click on the 4th tab titled “ENROLL” in the menu bar
    4. In the drop down box choose “Oklahoma”, “University of Tulsa” then provide the date you will begin attending TU and click “Add”
    5. Click “SUBMIT” to save changes
  • Health Insurance Coverage

    Students who have a 20-hour per week teaching/research/administrative office assistantship, Woobank Assistantship, or full University fellowship (such as the Henneke Research Fellowship) and who are uninsured are eligible to receive the University Student Health Insurance that is provided by the University of Tulsa to the individual student.

    This is a community benefit; therefore, students who already have health insurance that pays benefits in Oklahoma will not be reimbursed, nor may the student receive the equivalent cost of the insurance to apply to another policy with another company. To acquire the insurance, a student must complete the Graduate Assistant or Fellow Request for University Student Health Insurance form available at the Graduate School.

    Please note, all students enrolled at the University of Tulsa are recommended to have health insurance coverage that provides benefits in the State of Oklahoma. All graduate assistants are enrolled in health insurance. Coverage provided as part of some graduate awards is meant to help more students meet the recommended coverage.

    If you have questions about this benefit in regard to graduate awards, please contact Janet Bolois or 918-631-2339.

    For more information regarding the general student health insurance policy on campus and the available plan options, visit the Alexander Health Center.