Are you unsure if you’ve picked the right major? Do you wonder what career paths your major might lead you to? Have you thought about finding a job that blends your strengths and interests so you will ultimately be fulfilled and happy?
Fortunately, there is a resource at The University of Tulsa that is growing and here for you, a resource that can help make your career preparation and job search easier: CaneCareers. Christopher Wong, the Career Coach for College of Engineering and Natural Sciences walks us through how their team serves and supports students through this process.
CaneCareers is a high-octane team of employer recruiters, opportunity developers, internship creators, job posters and career coaches. Why would you need a Career Coach? Here are 5 of the biggest reasons why you need one NOW:
- Your Career Coach can support you in making informed decisions about your career development and trajectory. Our Career Coaches have been trained and certified to assist students and alumni with all aspects of their career development issues. Isn’t it great to have someone like this in your corner as you embark on your career journey?
- Your Career Coach can use assessments such as personality tests, interest inventories, and accomplishment exercises that can pinpoint the kind of work and workplaces that are the best fit for you. Who doesn’t want to go after their dream occupation? Career Coaches are focused on drilling down to find your ultimate career goal: you love doing it, you are good at it, the world needs it and you get paid to do it.
- Career Coaches are masters of the many tools that can be used in your career development process. Tools, tips and tricks are the Career Coaches’ forte, including résumés, cover letters, LinkedIn and Handshake profiles, networking tips, interview skills improvement and much more. Our arsenal is big and better than ever.
- Your Career Coach can provide concrete steps you can take to achieve your career objectives. It’s not easy. It’s not like Career Coaches just hand out jobs and internships. It takes a lot of work on your part. A Career Coach can not only plan out your career development process steps, but they can guide you along that path and encourage you to achieve your goals.
- Your Career Coach provides honesty, curiosity, empathy and compassion. As you work on your career development, be it a good summer internship, a full–time position, an opportunity to improve your station in life or to contribute to society, you need support and that’s where your Career Coach comes in. We can help instill career confidence, provide insight and always give encouragement and inspiration.
Career coaching in your college years and immediately post-college can put you on more solid footing—not just with a well-crafted résumé and a suitable career path, but also with a growth mindset. CaneCareers is committed to operating under 4 KEYS TO CAREER SUCCESS:
- Explore Careers – This is a time to ask big questions and take a proactive approach to figure out what’s important to you. Our staff, activities, and resources will help you identify your strengths, skills, interests, and values and understand how they relate to your choice of a major and career.
- Develop Skills – Work with your Career Coach to develop effective skills and your personal brand, tools, and strategies you will need to secure an internship or full-time position.
- Gain Experience – Take advantage of every opportunity to learn on campus through class projects, research, clubs, study abroad, and leadership opportunities, then enhance your skills even more with off-campus internships, externships, or co-op positions found by consulting with your Career Coach.
- Build Connections – Identify contacts, forge relationships, and strengthen connections in your professional network. Our Career Coaches will provide advice about career paths, industries, and organizations that can help you uncover opportunities and make informed choices.
If you are ready to start thinking about your career, then you are ready to get connected with us. And we want to help.
Whatever college you are a part of, CaneCareers has your Career Coach:
- Brooke Smart – Career Coach, Kendall College of Arts and Sciences, email@example.com
- Dr. Cassandra Crawford-Ciglar – Career Coach, Oxley College of Health Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Christopher Wong – Career Coach, College of Engineering and Natural Sciences, email@example.com
- Dontae Doughty – Career Coach, Collins College of Business, firstname.lastname@example.org
- College of Law Career Center – email@example.com or College of Law Professional Development Webpage