Information for New Students - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Information for New Students

The Center for Global Engagement Office (CGE) looks forward to welcoming you to our campus. We want to make your educational experience at The University of Tulsa both rewarding and enjoyable.

CGE is located on the third floor of Holmes Student Center at Hardesty Hall. Walk-in hours are 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Monday through Friday. Please stop by our office during walk-in hours if you have any questions.

TU Online Student Account

Students who will attend TU need to activate their TU online account to access important university services including the campus housing application. Visit our TU Net ID and Password Setup page for instructions to activate your student account. Please note, the TU student account is different from the admission application account and is used for university services.

New International Student Orientation

All Fall 2024 incoming international students should arrive on campus from August 16 to August 18 to fully participate in CGE specialized orientation activities, a required immigration check-in, and enroll in classes.

Undergraduate advisors will be meeting with students August 19 to August 23 to enroll students.

New Student Orientation

New international undergraduate students must attend New Student Orientation before classes begin. Orientation is a multi-day experience full of helpful information, fun activities and the opportunity to make friends. New students will be placed in a small group led by a successful current TU student.

Visit the new student orientation page for more information.

International Student & Scholar Services Staff

Phone: 918-631-2329
Fax: 918-631-3322

Pre-Arrival Information

Not sure what to pack? Watch the pre-arrival video (below) to hear advice from current TU students. Consider bringing your national dress, musical instruments and/or artifacts with you to the U.S. You will have many opportunities to share them while you are here, including at TU’s International Education Week celebration.


Students living on campus will receive a written notice of room assignment and move-in details from the housing office approximately three to four weeks before arrival. International students who have completed a housing license may check into their room or apartment upon arrival.

Students who wish to have airport pick-up should contact their admissions counselor. If you have additional questions about arrival, please contact your counselor or the Center for Global Engagement Office in advance at or +1-918-631-2329. If you are on campus and need assistance when university offices are closed, campus security can be reached +1-918-631-5555.

Transportation & Hotels

Flights should be booked to Tulsa International Airport (airport code TUL), which is located approximately six miles northeast of campus.  Students who do not wish to receive the specialized airport pick-up service, held August 10 to August 13, may chose to make their own transportation plans for campus arrival. Taxis, Uber and Lyft are all available for onward transport to campus; taxi fare is typically around $16, not including tip.



It is important that all international students maintain their immigration status in order to remain in the United States. U.S. Immigration procedures and policies change frequently. The Office of International Student & Scholar Services is happy to help you with any immigration issues and answer immigration questions.

However, please remember that it is your responsibility to know and understand all current information that pertains to maintaining legal immigration status.

For up-to-date immigration information, please see the USCIS website.

Immigration Check-In on Campus

After arriving in Tulsa, international students must visit the International Student & Scholar Services office within the Center for Global Engagement for a required immigration check-in appointment.


International students must obtain a visa that allows study in the USA. An I-20 form is provided to admitted students who apply for the F-1 visa. For students currently attending school in the USA who already have an F-1 visa, a SEVIS transfer form is included in the admission packet and the student must request transfer of the I-20 from their current school. For families living in the USA with other types of visas, it is the student’s responsibility to ensure the current visa allows university study or to inform International Student & Scholar Services immediately of any plan to apply for an F-1 visa.

  1. Stay in close contact with the International Student & Scholar Services (ISS) office and check assigned TU e-mail address daily (if any changes in US government regulations are imposed on internationals students, this is the method of notification you will receive). You will also receive notification of events and reminders or urgent messages via this email address, so check your TU email often. Always visit the ISS first when you have immigration questions.
  2. Students must request that the ISS office sign their I-20 or DS-2019 prior to each international travel — the office requires a minimum of two weeks prior to departure from US to process documents. If your I-20 must be mailed to you, your student account will be charged. The office must endorse the I-20/DS-2019 annually for a student to travel internationally (example: traveling during winter break, spring break, summer break, etc.). Also, all dependents (spouses or children) must have their form(s) signed for travel within these guidelines. When traveling back into the US, be sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months into the future, that you have your most recently signed I-20 or DS-2019 ready for the inspector to review and that your visa is valid. Your visa is allowed to expire while you are in the U.S., but if you leave the U.S. and plan to return, you would need to renew your visa. This can only be done at a U.S. Embassy/Consulate abroad. If you must secure a new visa in order to return, check with the Embassy you plan to visit before you leave the U.S. to see how long it will take to obtain another visa. Decide whether or not you will have sufficient time to get a visa BEFORE you leave the US.
  3. Check that the information on your I-20 or DS-2019 is kept up-to-date and be sure it is accurate; notify the ISS staff immediately if you have any changes to biographical information (biographical information in passport and on I-94 and I-20 or DS-2019 must match), changes in field of study (changes of major) or level of study (such as Bachelors to Masters degree) or if there is a significant change in financial support (such as switching sponsors, obtaining an assistantship or scholarship, etc.). Also, each form currently lists a date by which it is expected that you should complete your degree program. If you anticipate not completing your studies by this end date, it is very important that you notify our office so we can discuss whether it is possible to extend your I-20/DS-2019. Requests for extensions must be made one month prior to the end date currently listed on the form.
  4. It is required by law that students must provide the U.S. address where they reside (physically live) within 10 days of each move (to a new US address).
  5. Students must be enrolled by the first day of class. In addition, all International students must be enrolled on a full-time basis each fall and spring. International students who are enrolled in less than a full-time course load must provide documentation and receive approval for a reduced course load from the ISS official prior to the second week of each semester. It is not necessary to be enrolled during the summer unless;
    1. you are beginning a new academic program as a new TU student
    2. you are a change of level student (ex. Bachelors to Masters)
    3. you are returning to TU after a leave of absence
    4. your current I-20 is an initial, change of level, or transfer pending I-20

    Be prepared to pay your University charges by the beginning of each new semester. Failure to do so may result in your enrollment being blocked and your inability, therefore, to maintain immigration status.

  6. If a student does not enroll each fall and each spring continuously, their immigration status becomes invalid and the student will need a new I-20 or DS-2019 to resume their degree program. If you decide for any reason that you need to take a semester off, be sure to come in and consult with the Immigration Services Specialist prior to the end of the current semester.
  7. International students may not accept any type of employment without prior written approval from the ISS Office and/or US Government. Seek information from the International Student & Scholar Services Office about possible employment opportunities prior to accepting any employment. Students may work on campus at TU on a part-time basis (no more than 20 hours a week) while enrolled in classes and on a full-time basis (between 20 and 40 hours per week) during school breaks (Fall, Winter, Spring, Summer). All employment requires a student to apply for a Social Security Number and you only need to apply once in a lifetime. Be sure to safeguard your number and your Social Security Card once you receive it. An F-1 student is allowed to volunteer through TU’s True Blue Neighbors. If interested in volunteering, come to the ISS office to consult one of the trained immigration officers who will be able to discuss volunteer opportunities with F-1 international students. If you are interested in participating in an internship you must receive approval from the SEVIS officers. The internship must meet the requirements of the Curricular Practical Training as outlined in the CPT section and be approved prior to participation. If CPT is approved, a new I-20 will be issued reflecting the authorization.
  8. If a Social Security Number (SSN) is needed, come to the ISS office and we will guide you through the application process.
  9. The minimum processing time at the ISS office for any document/form for signature is two weeks. Our office is here to be of assistance, please don’t hesitate to ask for help. Feel free to send e-mails of inquiry to We are also happy to have you drop by and visit us to let us know how you are doing and we look forward to seeing you at the various campus events held throughout the year.
  10. International students are responsible for maintaining valid student health insurance that meets or exceeds the requirements set forth by TU. All J Visa holders must have insurance that meets the requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State. The Alexander Health Center is available to all students, regardless of which insurance plan they are on. Be familiar with their hours and phone number so if you should become ill or injured you will know who can help.
This information does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such.