Study Abroad Financial Aid - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Study Abroad Financial Aid

At The University of Tulsa, study abroad is a realistic, affordable opportunity for all students. For most students the cost of semester or summer study abroad is equivalent to what they pay at TU – and sometimes even cheaper.

TU has a generous financial aid policy which allows TU scholarships to apply to study abroad tuition. Whether you are a Presidential Scholar or are receiving one of the many other TU scholarships you will be able to apply these to your semester abroad. Students may also use loans to cover several study abroad-related expenses such as airfare and visa fees.

Students should talk with their financial aid advisor to discuss which scholarships will apply to their program abroad.

To help students and families better understand and plan for the costs of study abroad, the Center for Global Engagement has draft budgets posted for most programs so that students can understand the full cost of their experience abroad. If a budget is not provided, please ask your study abroad advisor for a copy of the program’s budget.

Intent to Study Abroad

You will need to contact the Center for Global Engagement (CGE) office to inform them of your interest in a study abroad program.

You will need to speak with your academic advisor well in advance of your intent to study abroad to ensure the study abroad courses and credits are approved for your academic program.

Enrollment in a study abroad program/visiting student program, approved for credit by TU, will have enrollment at TU for purposes of applying for federal financial aid. TU will be considered the home school and will be responsible for processing federal financial aid.

After Selecting a Program

After a decision has been made on your study abroad program, you and a staff member from the CGE office will complete a CGE Study Abroad Budget Form. The form will be electronically submitted to Student Financial Services from the CGE Office.

The CGE Study Abroad Budget Form is only beneficial for federal student loan and private loan eligibility. Financial aid and scholarships can only be applied to a study abroad semester(s) for a student who is seeking their first degree. TU scholarships are not available for a summer semester.

The CGE Study Abroad Budget Form will not increase your scholarship funding. As a general rule, the scholarship, grant and loan funding you receive to attend TU will also apply to study abroad expenses. TU scholarships are not available for a summer semester.

Note: If the student will be applying for Tuition Benefit, only one semester of a study abroad program is covered by Tuition Benefit. TU faculty led programs are not covered by Tuition Benefit.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

You must be in good standing and making Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) at the time of your study abroad application and before receiving federal financial aid.

For all study abroad students, your next semester’s federal financial aid will not be released until the grades from the study abroad program are received and posted to the student’s TU academic transcript.

TU reviews the student’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) every semester. Study abroad grades must be posted to the student’s TU academic transcript before federal financial aid can be released for the next term. This is an effort to remain in compliance with regulations associated with federal financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

Changes to Cost of Attendance

After your CGE Study Abroad Budget Form is received by Student Financial Services, the form will be reviewed by your Financial Aid Counselor. If your total study abroad expenses are different than your TU Cost of Attendance (COA or budget) for the semester you plan to study abroad, the new total expenses will replace the TU COA.

An increase in the COA, may increase your eligibility for federal student loans, if you have not been awarded the maximum amounts. If you have been awarded the maximum amounts on Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loans, a Direct Parent PLUS Loan and/or private loan would be the only alternative for funding. Should your financial aid award be revised, you will be notified through your TU email account.

After Financial Aid is Awarded

After your financial aid has been awarded and you are ready to study abroad, the CGE Office will contact the Bursar’s Office regarding the release of your funds to pay for your living expenses abroad. The Bursar’s Office can address any questions or concerns you may have regarding your balance and the refund process (i.e., how to set up direct deposit).

Federal loan funds may be released no earlier than 10 calendar days prior to the first day of class based on a statement from the student’s study abroad program director confirming the student’s first day of class and; full-time enrollment in the program. If applicable, all federal loan funds will be disbursed in one disbursement, if the student’s study abroad program is for one semester. However, if the student chooses to study abroad for a full academic year (Fall-Spring), the student will receive one disbursement per semester.

Later, when the student’s Enrollment Verification Form (EVF) is sent to TU, the Registrar’s Office confirms the student’s full-time enrollment status. Should the student be enrolled less than full time, the federal financial aid is cancelled, and the student is responsible for the difference to the study abroad program.

If you are awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) in your initial financial aid award and you plan to study abroad one of those semesters, you will need to accept the FWS for the semester you will not study abroad. FWS is awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis and if you decline FWS for the year, there is a good chance you will not get it back. If you plan to study abroad for the Fall, you will cancel the Fall, but accept the Spring award and vice-versa.

While Abroad

While you are abroad, you should maintain a full time status; otherwise, you will have received funding you were not eligible to receive.  If this scenario happens, you could lose some of your funding, and it could result in you owing money to TU.

If you have questions or concerns about your federal financial aid and/or the required forms for study abroad, contact your dedicated Financial Aid Counselor or the Student Financial Services office.


  • Financing Summer or Short-Term Study Abroad

    Just as most students do not receive scholarships during the summer months, most scholarships do not cover the cost of summer study abroad programs. While some outside scholarships are available they are generally limited. For this reason, students should plan on paying the full-cost of their summer experience abroad. In some cases this means that a summer experience costs more than a full semester long program.

    Scholarships are available for students who must study abroad during the summer because of their academic program, athletic involvement, or scholarship requirements.

  • Additional Scholarships and Awards

    The Center for Global Engagement as well as many study abroad providers and outside organizations provide scholarships and awards to support students going abroad. Students should discuss financial concerns with their study abroad advisor and check program provider websites for available scholarships.