Summer Financial Aid - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Summer Financial Aid

Is Financial Aid available in the summer?

Summer 2024 eligibility is determined using the results of the 2023-2024 FAFSA as well as your summer enrollment plans and living arrangements. If you received federal financial aid at The University of Tulsa for Fall 2023 and/or Spring 2024 semester(s), you would have already filed the 2023-2024 FAFSA. If you are unsure whether or not you filed, please contact Student Financial Services.  The cost per undergraduate credit hour for Summer 2024 is $1,564 per hour.

Summer Financial Aid Application

If you want to apply for summer federal financial aid at The University of Tulsa, please complete the following steps:

  • You must complete the Summer 2024 Financial Aid Electronic Form after you have enrolled for summer and/or before the last day of class in your summer session.
  • Federal financial aid will not be awarded until you are enrolled at least half time in summer classes.
  • If you borrow Direct Loans for Summer 2024, it may affect your total loan eligibility for Fall 2024. If you intend to utilize Direct Subsidized and/or Unsubsidized Loans for Summer 2024 and Fall 2024, you should contact your dedicated Financial Aid Counselor.  If you receive the Oklahoma’s Promise Grant, please list it on the application.  TU scholarships are not available in the summer.
  • Once awarded, you will receive an email directing you to your TU Self Service Account to view your summer TU Financial Aid Package which will be listed under the 2023 academic year. This Financial Aid Package will not be available for undergraduate students until spring semester grades have posted in May.
  • You must electronically accept your summer Direct Loans online in your TU Self Service Account in order for the loans to be processed.

First Time Borrowers:

  • If this is your first time to borrow a Direct Subsidized, Unsubsidized, and/or Direct Graduate (GPLUS) Loan, you will need to electronically complete a Master Promissory Note and Entrance Counseling. Go to, click on “Complete a Loan Agreement (Master Promissory Note)” and “Complete Loan Entrance Counseling” under the “In School” tab to complete and submit both documents.

Graduate or Parent PLUS Borrowers:

  • To apply for a Graduate PLUS (GPLUS) Loan or Direct Parent PLUS (PLUS) Loan, the graduate student or undergraduate student’s parent must go to, click on “Apply for a PLUS Loan for Graduate School,” under the “In School” tab or click on “Apply for a Parent PLUS Loan” under the “Parent” tab.  Complete the steps for an immediate credit decision.
  • If this is a parent’s first time to borrow a PLUS loan, the parent must complete a Master Promissory Note. Go to, click on “Complete a Master Promissory Note for a Parent PLUS Loan” under the “Parent” tab.  Parents do not need to complete Entrance Counseling.
  • If a GPLUS or PLUS loan is endorser approved, the student borrower or parent borrower, must go to, click on “Complete PLUS Credit Counseling” under the “Parent” tab.  Select “Graduate/Professional Student” or “Parent of an eligible dependent undergraduate student(s).” Complete and submit the form.

Satisfactory Academic Progress:

  • If you are not maintaining Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) prior to the summer term, you are not eligible for summer federal financial aid. Student Financial Services reviews files for summer aid after the prior semester grades have been posted to the student academic transcript. You must meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy requirement at the end of each semester. For more information, please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Policy requirements.

Minimum Enrollment Requirements For Student Loans

  • Undergraduate – 6 hours
  • Graduate – 5 hours
  • Law – 6 hours

Students enrolled in a summer session need to be instructed of the following federal government regulations for a withdrawal:

If a student is enrolled in one session or more than one session for the summer term and decides to drop or withdraw from any enrolled summer session (current or scheduled to attend), it is imperative the student contact their dedicated Financial Aid Counselor prior to the drop or withdrawal to understand how it will affect their federal financial aid and to see if additional information is needed from the student. For example, written confirmation of future enrollment in another summer session must be done at the time of withdrawal, even if the student has already registered for subsequent classes. A written notification of future enrollment may prevent the student from being subject to a Return of Title IV calculation and the possibility of the student owing TU a portion of the loan funds they received for the summer term. In addition to the written statement, there are other criteria used to determine if a student is a summer withdrawal.