Student FAQs - The University of Tulsa
Close Menu
Close Menu

Student FAQs

Below are answers to common questions, click on each question to reveal the answer.

International Student FAQs

To find out if your country is represented at The University of Tulsa please click here.

Yes! The University of Tulsa offers the International Leadership Scholarship to well-qualified international applicants. This is a merit-based scholarship based on the student’s academic background as well as extracurricular and leadership experience. The award is offered to select freshmen applicants at the time of admission. Students must submit a completed application for admission with all the required supporting documents. No additional scholarship application is needed and all qualified applicants are automatically considered. Award values vary from $2,000 to $17,000 USD. The initial award is for one year and is renewable as long as the student maintains full-time enrollment and a 2.0 cumulative GPA at The University of Tulsa. Eligible students may renew up to three times for a total of four years of study. Early applicants are considered favorably.

If outside scholarships received, in combination with TU scholarship funds, exceed the student’s basic charges of TU tuition, room and board, the university reserves the right to adjust any awarded funds.

A complete breakdown of tuition, fees and expenses can be found here.

Personal expenses are listed so the students have a reasonably good idea about the total expense of attending The University of Tulsa. Personal expenses include items such as movie tickets, dining out, personal items and other personal expenses and fees not listed in the cost breakdown.

Your I-20 should always reflect your current degree program. So, if you change degree programs, you need to come by our office so we can issue you another I-20 that reflects the changes.

Under current F-1 regulations, it is required that your new I-20 reflect your change in major.

You will need to request a dependent I-20 form from the International Student Services Office. Your dependents must apply to the US Embassy/Consulate for F-2 entry visa stamps. They must also present the dependent I-20, evidence of financial resources, and evidence of intent to return home. They may also be asked to present a copy of your transcript.

See Also:
Immigration Issues
Student Visa Information

Yes. F-1 international students do not need permission to work on campus. J-1 students require SEVIS updates prior to working on campus, so you will need to come to the ISS office to discuss work opportunities with the SEVIS compliance coordinator. However, the jobs must not exceed 20 hours per week and must be paid from university, not government, funds.

There are jobs available in several of the computer labs across campus. There also are jobs in the fitness center, dining services, housing and the library.

No. Individuals holding F-2 status are not, under any circumstances, allowed to work in the U.S. This includes student positions on campus. However, individuals holding a J-2 visa may request work authorization from USCIS. Please call and make an appointment with the SEVIS compliance coordinator if you have questions about this process.

You may be able to obtain off-campus work authorization to work in a job related to your field of study. Come to the International Student Services Office to discuss this option. You must have been in F-1 status for at least one academic year to be eligible for off-campus employment.

If you are completing your program of study, you may be eligible to apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training. This application must be recommended by our office and approved by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This process can take up to 3 months, so please allow sufficient time for approval to be received before you plan to begin working. The employment authorization will allow you to work in a job related to your field of study.

You may be eligible to apply for Academic Training once you receive your job offer. The application must be completed and signed by your academic adviser and submitted to the ISS office for approval at least two weeks prior to the program end date listed on your DS-2019. If it is approved, the employment authorization will allow you to work in a specific job directly related to your field of study for 18 months. Please come to the ISS office for additional information regarding academic training.

The University of Tulsa is not admitting students to an Intensive English Program.